To achieve anything, it’s important to set goals and have a plan to achieve them. So many people set out to accomplish things but don’t have the proper foundation in place or a well thought out way to get to where they want to go. If you follow these 6 steps to setting and achieving goals, you’ll slowly but surely start accomplishing what you set out to, and more importantly, build the momentum to keep it going.
A goal without a plan is just a wish
You’ve heard it time and time again…if you want to succeed, set goals.
And I agree. Goals are essential to actually achieving the things you most desire.
There are a number of reasons for this:
- They keep you accountable
- They relieve some stress because everything you have to get done is out of your head and written down
- They keep you on track when you get overwhelmed
- They make your desires actually feel attainable
But how many times have you made certain goals for your health and happiness and then eventually just sat there staring at them, with no real motivation to move forward?
You create this amazing list of everything you desire to have for your body and overall health and then just freeze when it comes to actually implementing the necessary steps to get there
That’s because it’s not just necessary to know WHAT you want to do and HOW you need to get it done, but the real key is…
…WHY you want to do any of it in the first place.
The WHY is all about inspiration and that’s what gets you going and keeps you going.
The WHY also allows you to create specific and actionable steps that will help you achieve your goals in a more ENJOYABLE way.
We are emotional beings, however, we often neglect this part of ourselves and only focus on trying to “get shit done.”
We use too much masculine energy, the energy of action, doing and logic and too little of our feminine energy…creativity, exploration, enjoyment, intuition and emotion.
It’s no wonder that so many times, even if we do reach our goals we experience little to no satisfaction. And instead of being able to celebrate what we’ve accomplished, the enjoyment is fleeting and we have to find the next thing to go after to fill that void.
Not focusing on the pleasure is also a reason why many people can’t keep up with things like diets, that only focus on the end result of losing weight at the cost of health and happiness.
You end up in this continuous cycle of happiness-chasing that never ends.
It’s so important to embrace the more feminine aspects of our beings that inspire positive and pleasurable action. And regardless of if you’re a male or female, this holds true.
And I don’t mean just pleasurable in the end when you’ve reached a goal, but during the entire process as well.
The problem with only focusing on the big picture result is that you’re not happy until you reach it and you’ll do anything to get there, sacrificing your health, happiness and even relationships to get there. And if you don’t meet that end goal, you feel like a failure and anything you did in the process is thrown out the window.
Success and happiness become incredibly difficult this way.
The key is to focus on the FEELINGS you want to achieve, not the end result.
FEEL your goals to succeed. When you can identify these specific feelings…
- You will realize there are various creative ways for you to achieve and explore those feelings, not only that one thing that will make or break it
- The process will become more pleasurable the entire way because you are in a process of exploration, creativity, experience and connecting to what truly makes you feel fulfilled
- The end result simply becomes a natural side effect that you don’t have to force
Creating lasting transformation is not about forceful willpower, but about positive inspiration. (tweet it!)
Here are 6 steps to setting and achieving goals
Ignite the fire under you, get going, and keep moving.
- Write down the big picture goals – Write down your goals as you normally would for your health, business, love life, etc. This list can be as short or long as you like.
- Choose the top 2-3
- Identify your WHY – Next, look at each one and think about WHY you want to reach that goal and WHY it’s important to you. Ask yourself WHY at least 2-3 times and then end with HOW achieving it would make you feel: Here’s a very basic example:
- GOAL: Lose 20 lbs.
- WHY do you want to lose 20 lbs: I want to feel good when I look in the mirror
- WHY is it important for you to feel good when you look in the mirror: I want to start dating, find a relationship
- HOW would that make you feel: Loved, confident, feminine, excited, beautiful, sexy
- Let go of the outcome Next, look at the feelings you listed and detach them from any result you were seeking (the original goal). In other words, recognize that these feelings are not a cause of you achieving one specific thing, such as a good relationship or landing a great job. These feelings are simply how you want to feel on a day to day basis. The reason this distinction is important to understand is that instead of measuring your self-worth only on reaching that one goal, you will now be focusing on thoughts and behaviors you can do every day to bring your desired feelings about, lessening the pressure and increasing the enjoyment. In this way, you will begin to increase your positive energetic vibration that will naturally attract and cause the desired outcomes.
- Take action – The next part is to begin brainstorming ideas of various positive ways you can achieve these feelings. For this example, maybe it’s taking a dance class, wearing more feminine clothing, getting a massage, using positive affirmations, taking a few minutes out in the morning to appreciate all the amazing things about you and your body, rather than everything you want to change. This process may take a bit of thinking and even guidance, but it’s important.
- Full Steam Ahead – And then lastly, schedule a few of these activities in a week. They can be small or big, there is no right or wrong answer. Just remember to always focus on the feelings you are trying to achieve.
You can already see how the few things listed feel so much more inspirational and positive than simply “losing 20 lbs.”
And here’s the thing, if you can get clear on WHY you actually want to achieve a goal, HOW you want to feel and detach these feelings from the specific outcomes, you will be so much more likely to create positive habits, enjoy them and therefore continue them…
Because you feel INSPIRED to take action, not forced to.
Life will feel like a continuous series of incredible experiences, rather than a continuous chase after a few difficult successes.
Here’s how to use the feelings you come up with in your daily life:
- Use the feelings you come up with as INSPIRATION to keep you going when you feel unmotivated. Remind yourself of how you want to feel and then create small actions around that. Write them down, print them out, put them anywhere you can see them at times you may need that extra reminder of the life you are creating.
- Use them as a FILTER when trying to make decisions for your health, love life or even business. It’s important to make sure you’re making decisions that honor the feelings you value in all areas of your life. This will also help inspire you to make more positive choices for yourself.
ACTION STEP: Go through this exercise and share some of the FEELINGS you ended up with and how you plan on exploring those…and then share them below!
This post has been republished with permission from TinaPaymaster.com.
Tina Paymaster is a Certified Health & Lifestyle Expert and Healthy Foods Chef, who inspires women to feel empowered and discover their potential for true happiness & optimal health by teaching them how to love their bodies, feed their souls and create nourishing lifestyles that last.